JOSTINE M. BARMAO,ACP
COMMANDANT TOURISM POLICE UNIT
Tourist Police Unit is a specialized unit that was formed to provide security for tourists. The idea to establish the Unit came up in 1992 when insecurity was a real challege to the Tourism Industry. Its was formed in collaboration with The Commissioner of Police, Ministry of Tourism and stakeholders in the Tourism Industry.
The unit is mandated to provide security and safety to tourists in various circuits and facilities utilized by the tourists within Kenya. In that respect, the concern of Tourism Police Unit with regard to providing security to tourisms outside protected areas, is centresd on beaches, roads, streets, airports, bus stops, public parks, hotels, lodges, entertainment spots, museums, historical sites and market places.
the normal police functions, the core functions of the
tourist police unit are:
Protection of tourist’s life and property
• Provide security and safety to tourists
• Handle and receive inquiries, claims and complaints
• Investigate tourists related crimes and prosecute
• Patrol beaches, hotels and tourist circuits
• Provide escorts to tourist
• Protect tourists from harassment
• To offer general advice and guidance to tourists
- Reduction of violent crimes committed against tourists
- Increase in the number of tourists visiting tourists attractions
- Training officers in foreign languages and offering tourism sensitization courses
- Cultivating good relationships with members of the public
- Creationof more Tourist Police Bases
- Building confidence in tourists about their safety
formation of Tourism Police Unit was first considered
in 1992 by the Commissioner of Police, Ministry of Tourism
and Wildlife and tourism industry stake holders. This
was at the time when the country experienced attacks
against the tourists as they visited various tourist
circuits. There was also a lot of harassment to tourist
by parking boys/girls, street families and beach operators.
later started off by the P.P.O Coast in 1996 within
Coastal region with 50 officers. It is now a rapidly
growing Unit with strength of 310 officers. It is headed
by a Commandant with a headquarters staff. Further there
are two administrative sectors the equivalent of a police
division. Under the Divisions there are Bases.
Tourist Police Unit is committed to ensuring safety
for tourists to make them feel at home away from home.
However, it is not possible to wipe out crime completely.
Real security starts with observing one’s personal
security. We are therefore appealing to all to observe
personal security. For example, it is not advisable
to wear golden jewelries that easily attract evil minded
people’s attention or carry huge sums of cash
etc. It is wise to deal with recognized foreign currency
exchange bureaus and avoid engaging in long conversations
with strangers on the street.
police officers work in the police uniforms and do
wear a TPU badge on the left hand side of the shirt.
Approach them for general guidance and information in
case of doubt.
all incident to the police however small the case may
any criminal intelligence to our security officers.
us through the following addresses...
Box 30281 Nairobi