FUNCTIONS OF MARITIME POLICE UNIT
- Provision of internal security along the seas and lakes in Kenya
- Keeping vigil on Maritime iperations and activities
- Prevention and monitoring of narcotic trade
- Prevention and control on infiltration of small arms
- Control and keeping vigil on terrorist activities
- Control and monitoring refugee influx
- Control and vigilance on stoways
- Providing security for tourists and beach patrols
- Carry out search and rescue operations along the Kenya waters
- Enforcement of IMO rules, observations and regulations
HISTORY OF MARITIME POLICE UNIT
The Unit was established in 10 April, 2007 as a law enforcement agency to deal with maritime activities to provide security along the seas and lakes in Kenya.
Before, the Unit was a sector within the Port Police Kilindini Division.
The site surveys carried out along the Kenyan Coastline, Lake Victoria Basin and other lakes in Rift Valley i.e Turkana, Naivasha and Baringo are a threat to National Security, in that, there are infiltration of small arms, cattle rustling, drug trafficking, child trafficking, influx of refugees, threats of terrorism, piracy, illegal fishing and trawling, and contra-bound activities among many other crimes.
The Unit being one of the law enforcement agency, is duty bound to support the local Police establishment under which it falls.
Its constituted of the following detachments:-
Port Victoria detachment
Lake Baringo Detachment
The Unit is set to open up more detachments along the coastal line from Shimoni to South Coast to Kiunga in the North Coast and also in parts of Lake Victoria especially in Homabay - Suba - Migori Districts
The headquarters is at the Kilindini Port in Mombasa District of Coast Province